Sunday, August 10, 2008

And then there was the trip home...

After such a perfect first day at the beach, our second day was a little more rough. I think a week of inconsistent naps finally caught up to the kids and we had a lot of whining. I mentioned in my last post about our dismal time at Joe's Crab Shack, so much so that we joked on the way home of ways this day could be any worse...maybe our car would break down?

Thankfully, that night we came home and had a great time as a family at the pool. It erased the entire day. After packing up the whole car the next morning, Garet went to start the car as we put the kids in the car seats...nothing. Try again...nothing. The kids and I went back to the empty room (still very hot) and waited while Garet tried to jump start the car...no luck. We had the car towed to the Honda dealership (keep in mind we are 10 hours from home). Long story short, it turned out it was the battery (still not sure why it wouldn't charge) and the people at the dealership got us in really quick, thankfully.

This put us 4.5 hours behind schedule and a little worried we wouldn't make it to Atlanta at a reasonable hour, but the kids were amazing in the car and we hardly had to stop at all on the 6.5 hour trip. We stayed with my old roomie, Amanda, and her family - Jonathan, Aidan & Caroline. We hadn't seen each other in way too long (before either of us had kids) and so it was fun to see us all grown up as parents. The visit was too short (no time for Tiger Paws routines!), but it does my mind good to be around someone who has lived with me and still calls me a friend! Gotta love those AU Deerfield roomies!
Kara, Aidan & Levi (Caroline was taking a nap):

Now we are home and my list is way too long, but I got to spend quality time with my family and that was worth every minute!

2 comments:

The Kendricks- Tales From Opossum's World said...

No kidding! Cindy, Abby and I were at the same beach a the same time as you! We were all over Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach for the entire week. Pretty ironic...

Joy said...

OH! I am so jealous that you got to see Amanda!!! We need to have a reunion centered around football sometime this fall -- I would volunteer our house as a halfway point for everyone to meet up!!!!