Friday, November 21, 2008

Foggy Sunday

Our friends arrived on Saturday Night, so Sunday, we decided to drive up the Ridge to view Waimea Canyon. First order of business was a stop at the base at the Shrimp Station for Coconut Shrimp - Yum!
Waimea Canyon is nicknamed "Little Grand Canyon" and for good reason. It is an absolutely amazing site to see. At the first look-out, we were able to see a little of the canyon as the fog wasn't too bad. I think this picture of Kara is the cutest. She is holding her Hawaiian doll "Kaitlyn" in the picture - she loves that thing:The first time I looked at this picture, I thought that Harrison & Levi were leaning over the canyon guard rail and then I realized that it was just the walkway guardrail - whew!Let me preface this next picture by saying that the Kalalau Lookout at the top of the ridge is truly an amazing experience. The first time I looked over the edge, my breath was taken away and I thought "What an amazing God we have". There is this huge canyon that leads right out into the blue, blue ocean. That first time we went, there was even a rainbow leading right into the water. There is now another lookout farther up the ridge that has recently been opened: Pu'u o Kila Lookout. Garet said the view is fantastic. I couldn't wait to get to the top. As we traveled up, the fog got a little thicker and the rain started coming. I would not be deterred though. I put on my hood and trudged through the rain up to the top. And here, folks, was the view:Seriously. I was up there all alone (actually for some crazy reason, I took Kara with me in the rain) and it was so spooky. You couldn't see 10 feet over the edge. Oh well. Maybe we'll get up there again on this trip. At least the view on the way down was pretty!

No comments: