Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Materialism Monster

A couple of weeks ago, we started this new series at our church called "Monsters". Last week our new pastor, Brian, challenged us on the "Me Monster". In other words, "we aren't the center of the universe" to quote my mother. Good reminders, steps taken, but still a daily battle.

This week was on the "Materialism Monster". Josh, our student minister, spoke about how if we constantly crave more and more, our focus is not on the right thing and we will never be satisfied. I'll be honest, the "Me Monster" is a much bigger challenge for me than the "Materialism Monster" or so I thought....

Fast forward two days to this morning. While I was buckling Levi in the van, Kara promptly crawled into the front and poured my drink in her lap and all over our new van (diet cherry pepsi to be exact- errr). I am not my best in the morning and immediately yelled: "Kara, you just ruined our new van!!!".

Levi promptly said: "Mom, it is STILL a new van".

Josh, I'm afraid Levi got the last line on your sermon. Ouch.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

The book I am reading right now really has me thinking along these lines, too. Not the van lines, but the material things lines and about giving more.

But still.... cherry? Yikes. That's gotta be a pretty stain. I know I spilled a cherry dr. pepper a month ago and it totally stained our counter tops. Took a good bit of scrubbing to get that out.

What? No pic of the new van?

TPL said...

Our van is 16 months old and still new, so yours will still be new for a long time yet. In fact, it might be "the new van" until your next new-new car (new-new means really new, not just new to you).

It's amazing how many lessons we learn with our "new" van. The latest was "Oh, that's why my dad used to always put cardboard down before loading something big and dirty into the back."

I've found that enzyme-based pet stain cleaner works well on soda. At least it gets the smell out.

Josh Britt said...

it is amazing how our children can call us out. I'm glad he was listening. It was a pretty tough message in a lot of ways. I would have said the same thing until preaching this message.