Friday, March 28, 2008

Life Motto

One thing I really liked about my previous company were the annual reviews they did on us each year. For many people, it is just a process to get a raise for the next year if x, y and z goals were met. It may have been my supervisors, but for whatever reason, I got the good, the bad and the ugly. Rarely do we get someone to be completely open with us about how we are doing and so I am very thankful to my previous supervisors for being so honest with me - I loved the feedback. I feel that it made me a better employee and even a better person.

I had one really awful year around 2004. Mostly due to inexperience, but still my fault, I messed up on a contract, bad. When it came time for my review, my supervisor sat me down and said that his assessment of me was this: "I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught" - a quote by Winston Churchill. I have thought about this many, many times over the past few years, because it is me to a T. I have no problems running full force into the great unknown and learning things for myself (tripping and falling) along the way. I'm hoping now that I'm older (ie: in my 30s!), I slow down and listen to people more. I'll still be me, but maybe I won't stumble so much along the way.

No comments: