Monday, April 21, 2008

In case you think we hadn't noticed

When we arrived home from Maryland in February, Levi and I had a little conversation that went like this:

Levi: Mommy, the giraffe can't see
Alison: Levi, it is time to get in bed
Levi: No, the giraffe can't see
Alison: What are you talking about?
Levi: Look, the giraffe can't see!

I finally figured out that he was talking about the giraffe bank on his shelf in his room. When I looked up, I saw it.

What you see is a Christmas tissue box holder. You may be thinking, what in the world? Let me enlighten you.

Several years ago, a good friend of mine who will remain nameless, acquired this item at a women's dinner at our church. Soon after, it found it's way to another one of our friends homes. And then another and then another. With each passing, the game got a little more entertaining and a little more creative. This probably began about 4 years ago. Since this isn't just my story to tell, I want everyone who has had the tissue box to share how they acquired it and how they passed it along. I know I've forgotten some along the way, so I'm looking forward to re-living some memories!

And finally, Life Group beware...the tissue box will surface again...just wait! That's the last time we let you come to our house unsupervised :)!! I'm still impressed Levi saw it immediately. Here's his room so you can get a better perspective (his tent bed wasn't there at the time).

6 comments:

Bill and Melodie said...

Ha, so funny, I wondered when it would reappear. I know the Stone's have already had it, but new house deserves a second go around! I'm thinking this could be a good housewarming gift. She is afterall the one who started this isn't she?

Anonymous said...

I have affectionately dubbed this tissue box as "the curse." Meaning, it has cursed all that have had it with lasting memories, great friendships, and many laughs. I joked with the nameless woman that got the box that she would only use it a couple weeks a year, little did I know that it would be used for Halloween(The Creamers) Christmas(The Browns, Darrell and Ashley and the Cottons) for the Hula Party(the Copelands), if that counts as a holiday, as we do have it every year and other countless occasions. I love the tissue box, and the good times it has brought. I am hoping for a visit soon!

Alison said...

Kendra, you are so right!!! Good friends and good memories. We are blessed.

Anonymous said...

This box has made it's rounds! I think I have had it for at least 3 times, so I think I have served my time. I remember I found it under my sink one time in my spare bathroom (not sure how long it had been there). I know this was placed in my home during small group. But, the story gets better. My small group apparently didnt think that was good enough, so while we were on vacation in the late summer 2005, they got in my attic and put the box in some of my Christmas decorations. Imagine my surprise when I brought down the Christmas boxes that year (about 3 months later) and found this tissue box mixed in. It took me a long, long time to figure out what had happened. This was very creative I have to admit! Fun times and good memories!

Bill and Melodie said...

Don't forget, this tissue box has made it all the way to Michigan and back to Alabama. I think it's time for a trip to TN!

Unknown said...

yes, the writing is on the wall...

all we ask is that it can be located (found) with relative ease so that the joy may be spread to others. We wouldn't want to rob them of a blessing, right?