Monday, April 14, 2008

That There's an RV!

Happy Birthday, Mom! No, my mom is not an RV, but that has been a joke in our family for years and I could think of no better title.

Today my Mom turns another year older and I wanted to share with you a few things that I have inherited from my mom.
  1. A love for homemade chocolate chip cookie dough. Though my dad (and now Garet) constantly warn of salmonella (which is a valid point), there is nothing better!

  2. Curly Hair. In case you missed the post, you can view it here.

  3. Love for Travel. My earliest memories are of our family piled in the station wagon traveling in the car for days. She has 49 states...only Alaska to go! And, she's going to China this summer making that continent number 4 for her.

  4. Attention to detail. My mom leaves nothing "halfway" done.

  5. Height. We are both tall women. I used to hate my height, but when you are married to someone who is 6'2", I rarely think about it.

  6. We are both extroverts in that we get our energy from being around people. In other words, we love a good party.

  7. Traditions. It is hard to break one in our family as they are deep-seated. I find myself doing the same thing in my family.

  8. Love of Holidays. We get something from my mom every single holiday of the year.

  9. The need to be in charge. If you know us, you know what I mean. This can be good and bad.

  10. Crafty. Whereas her medium is quilting and mine is scrapbooking, we were always doing some type of craft project when we were growing up.

  11. Keeping in touch with every last person we have ever met. Both of our Christmas Card lists are ridiculously long, but we love people!

  12. Love for the Lord. My parents were there when I became a Christian and were faithful to raise me in a loving home. I want the same for my children.
Since I know her grandkids are about the best thing in the world to her, this one is for her. Happy Birthday Mom! Love you.


And, what it takes to get a picture of them both these days:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison - how sweet - thank you for this birthday gift. And I love the pictures of Levi and Kara - they must take after their grandpa with hats - note that embarrassing safari hat your father wore :). You're a wonderful daughter and I love you - Mom

The Big "30" said...

Tell you mom I said Happy Birthday for the great state of Illinois. You should let me know when are coming through here at some point. I would love to see you. Looking at the old family picture it brought back a memory of us making mud pies at you house. I know random thought there, but a funny one. Oh the good ol days.

Joy said...

oh, i forgot how your mom used to send us postcards for every holiday! I have never had anyone else send me a St patrick's day card, or flag day, or July 4th, etc etc -- that was so neat.

When you do the post about me, carr, and your weddings, make sure you let me know so i can send you a picture of the moms together...

Wallace said...

Happy Birthday Mrs C!

Bill and Melodie said...

Wow, looking at that picture of you with straight hair, I can really see Levi! I finally know who he looks like.

Anonymous said...

Love the list! For me, the love of travel is especially amazing given that half the trips you mentioned involved walking through graveyards for five hours:)
Also, where are you getting all these pictures?? I may have to start editing - Kristen's getting this idea that I'm cute - what do you think this beard is for?!??!

As always, thanks for the blog - trips down memory lane are always the best
-brian

mel said...

your mom has always been great to all of us. even the time i threw up in her downstairs bathroom (but hey, we were like 9, and i still blame nina!)
happy birthday mrs christy!:)