Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh the Places I want to go...US Edition

Growing up, I was very fortunate to travel all over the US thanks to my parents. My mom loved to travel and so we were always going here there and everywhere and that is not an understatement (41 states so far). I, of course, loved it. I've lived in 6 states (CA, SD, IL, AL and summers in CO & GA) and that really helps when visiting the US (and it also makes for an eventful childhood!).

So, here's my "Top 5 US Locations" that I hope to visit soon:
  1. Grand Tetons. Ever since I did that Beth Moore Bible Study where they are in the cabin in the mountains, I've wanted to go. Yellowstone would also be on this itinerary and by the end of this trip, I would hope to have Idaho, Wyoming and Montana checked off. I'm pretty sure I want to go here in the winter time (skiing!) - is that the best time?
  2. Seattle and Portland. Garet and I have wanted to go here since before we were married, but we always end up planning on going somewhere else. Not to be missed here would be Mt. St. Helens. I would also like to take the ferry over to Canada. Washington & Oregon = check!
  3. My parents tell me that I have seen the Grand Canyon, but I obviously don't remember it. Therefore it is on my list. I need Nevada and Utah still, so this trip would include those two states as well. I have no desire to go to Las Vegas (although I'm sure it is a sight to see!), so I'll have to research other areas of Nevada.
  4. Alaska. Garet has been a couple times with work, so this makes me want to go all the more (just not to the remote fishing village he goes to!). There are the cruises, big cities and remote areas. I really haven't researched this at all and will most likely be something we save for later, but I still want to go!
  5. New York City. I've been here with work, but I have never ever "done" NYC. I'd love to spend a long weekend in NYC doing all things touristy. I think I want to go at Christmas time or at least when there is snow on the ground...there is just something romantic about that.

As with my overseas edition, I have some honorable mentions: Wisconsin (the only state I haven't been to and didn't mention above) - nothing draws my attention there - Peter/Kate?; The Big Island, HI; Miami & The FL Keys; Phoenix, AZ.

And a couple of places I've been, made an impact on me and that I want to experience with Garet: Boulder/Denver/Colorado Springs, CO and everything around that area; Niagara Falls, NY; "The Faces on the Mountain" (as I referred to them as a child) in SD; The Outer Banks, NC; San Diego, CA.

If you have been to any of these places, please let me know the best way to see these areas! I'm always up for good travel tips!

14 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Well, of course, we LOVED GTNP and YNP! Oh, my soul - it is really the most beautiful and serence place. We absolutely loved hiking and canoeing around the lakes and mountains. A MUST. We want to take our kids back there some day. Personally, we liked being there in the summer- we're not skiers though. The hiking was magnificant! And...as for your other places on the list - how bout we just take a group trip to Alaska - I'd love it! It's a place high on my list as well =).

Anonymous said...

Grand Canyon - book way in advance and get a room on the rim inside the park. The main attractions there are the sunrises/sunsets and the mule rides and this would allow to step out of your hotel and a short walk to see those.

Joy said...

I'd love a group cruise to Alaska -- sign us up for that one!!

As for the other ones...I really want to see Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon...Alex wants all the fly-fishing spots, like Montana, Colorado, etc.

And hopefully, we'll all get to do NYC sometime!

Kristen said...

Niagara Falls tip - visit the Canadian side, the US side is stuck in the 70s and looks pretty run down. We just drove through on our way back from MI and the Canadian side is so nice. Be sure to ride the new whirpool boats. They look SO COOL!

Kristen said...

Grand Canyon - we did a one day flying trip to GC which was very neat. But I would like to have had two days in the Canyon to experience it at our own pace. My parents did the mule trip and a helicopter tour when they were there years ago and I would like to do that when we go back. You should go to Four points where you touch all four states in one spot. There's always skiing in Salt Lake City. There's some neat national parks in Nevada and Utah - Carlsbad Caverns and Mt. Zion park. Summer is super hot (weather-wise)!

Anonymous said...

Man, I need to read this more often! My 'condensing' of notes:
(1) as per your Mrs. Fields - here's an interesting example: in my 9 years of college, I have always referred to professors that teach classes as Dr. Lastname, whereas those I work with I call by their first name (Ed, Greg, Kara, etc). I never thought about it though until your post.
(2) If you go to Belgium, I would recommend seeing Ghent - the town is absolutely beautiful and it has some of the most detailed and magnificent cathedrals I have ever seen!
(3) For Wisconsin, I really like Madison - not a whole lot to 'see' per se, but it is a fun town to walk around (very college-town-e) and has some beautiful lakes (I think sailing would be the best activity for the state). Oh, and if you hit up NYC for the touristy stuff, I recommend buying tickets at TKTS stations - they sell tickets to broadway/off-broadway shows the day of for huge discounts. So, as long as you don't have a particular choice, its a good way to get great deals.

-brian

Kimberly said...

I bet you didn't know I was born in Idaho, did ya, although I know about as much about it as you do...

That Grand Canyon is on my list of places to go and believe it or not, it is one I would really take the kiddies to as well. :) Grand Tetons too.

And how is it possible you have not done the NYC touristy bit?!

Stacey said...

Hey it's not too late to join us and the Rosemas for our Alaskan cruise by way of Seattle and British Columbia. :) We're headed that way in a couple weeks!

Alison said...

Thanks for all the tips everyone. From the number of comments, it looks like people are more interested in the US than overseas!

I believe an Alaska trip is in the future! (Stacey, don't tempt me now!)

Brian: Yes, you need to read about your big sister more often!! It figures that you have been to the places I want to go :). It's the Christy gene.

Kimberly: I have NO idea how I have missed "tourist" NYC. I've been a tourist in every major city in the Northeast - it just keeps falling through!

Bill and Melodie said...

As for Niagara Falls, it is beautiful! This is where Bill and I got engaged. The Canadian side was much better than the American side.

Anonymous said...

that's funny. well your choleric might be the deal with your family and maybe your changing with age...hahaha

Alison said...

Thanks for the Niagra Falls tips. I was there in the 80s, so at that time it probably looked ok still. We did go over to the Canadian Side during that trip, but I don't remember it being any different. I just remember eating at a McDonalds and everything was in French! I think the kids would love it, although I'm not taking them out on the boat until they are older!

Alison said...

Oh, and Josh's comment deals with a personality test I took on his blog for those of you wondering what in the world he is talking about.

Anonymous said...

I heard Madison, WI was one of the least likely places to get shot in the US. So that's always good.