Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh the Places I want to go...

After reading this post by Ashley and as my mom leaves to go to China, I started thinking about if I had to absolutely narrow my top 5 vacation choices down, what would they be? I quickly realized that this was impossible for me, so I divided them into "Top 5 US Locations" and "Top 5 Overseas Locations". Without further ado, here is my "Top 5 Overseas Locations":
  1. Hong Kong - I've posted before about my Chinese cousins. They grew up there, and so we always were the recipients of gifts from Hong Kong from the time I was a little girl. I love to hear their stories about growing up in such a different culture than the US and therefore, one day I hope to accompany them on a trip. Of course, if I am flying all the way over there, I'd love to stop in China (Great Wall) and Japan (where my friend Miki is from).
  2. Kenya, Africa - For those of you that don't know, this is where my parents met. A CA guy and a IL girl both applied to be Journeymen and this is where they ended up. My whole life, our home was filled with African art, jewelry, blankets, instruments and even a spear. We also grew up with many stories about the people and culture in Africa. Kenya is not exactly a vacation "hot spot" right now, but I hope that there is a time in the future when I will be able to go visit and finally see all I have heard about. I also want to go on a real safari!
  3. Ireland - If you get a chance, go check out my friend Wallace's blog and his photography. Looking at those pictures makes me want to go all the more! It is so beautiful! We are tentatively planning to go here for our 10th anniversary in 2010. Since I am an "on the go" traveler, I also want to visit Scotland and Belgium while we are there. I went to England and The Netherlands with my family growing up and I would like to show those to Garet as well.
  4. Australia - This used to top my list all the time. Then I worked with an Aussie for about 5 years and he convinced me otherwise. I still want to go, but he said it is so much like the US that Americans can be disappointed when they go. Obviously, I've never been and have no idea if that is true or not. Nonetheless, I still want to go. I mean, they have the Great Barrier Reef - that's pretty cool.
  5. Somewhere in South America - I have no idea where though. Garet calls this the "forgotten continent" and I really think it is. I know very few people who have ever vacationed there, so that intrigues me all the more. I'm sure there are some absolutely amazing vacation spots down there, but you just don't see anything about them. Here's where you can help me out - anyone have any ideas?

Well, if I make those 5, that will give me 6 continents and that would be exciting. You know that I have some Honorable Mentions: The Caribbean (Dominican Republic or a Cruise), Greece, Dubai, New Zealand, Prague, Egypt & Thailand.

I'll post my "Top 5 US Locations" next week. Thanks again to all of you who prayed for Garet's Family - we appreciate it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can say that my trip to Brisbane, Queensland (Australia) was very much like a trip within the U.S., but I still enjoyed it.

The primary differences that I experienced daily was having to use different money to buy things, and the people there (at least in Brisbane) used cuss words frequently in their everyday language. Apparently they are desensitized to the vulgarity of these words.

sosagtsie said...

Lol, a friend of mine married a girl from Australia (it's where they had their wedding as well)and apparently everyone there was shocked and slightly horrified that they were actually getting married! Not because they didn't like the guy - they loved him and welcomed him - but marriage in Australia isn't looked upon as 'normal' behavior. It's considered kind of stupid and too binding - At least where she was from. It was somewhere around Sydney, if I remember correctly.

Making a list is a really good idea :) Hmm...

Alison said...

James: my co-worker was from Brisbane, so maybe I'll just skip that area and go see other areas of Australia.

Kristen said...

My dad worked for a bit in Brazil - not so safe - I'd stay away from there. Safety is a big concern in South America, I'd research that carefully. We had CG friends in Santa Barbara that were from Panama. It sounded like a GREAT place to visit.