Monday, June 9, 2008

WC Fields

Last night, we learned that Garet's Granddaddy passed away after spending about 4 months in and out of the hospital with kidney problems. While a little expected, it was still a somber evening around the Fields house last night.
I've only know Garet's Granddaddy for about 8 years, but oh what a gentleman. I don't think I ever saw the man without his sport coat on - even when it was 100 degrees outside. He always stood when I entered the room (how many men do that anymore?) and was always focused on what I had to say (and let's just say that I talk a lot). There were several things we knew he would ask us about and we always came prepared to answer them: At our very first apartment, we got free breakfast every morning - he thought this was fascinating. He also wanted to discuss all the places Garet goes on travel (and let's face it, he gets to go some cool places). And, he always asked about my family. I appreciated that.

From day one when I became a Fields, Garet's family has taken me in as their own. There has never been an "in-law" stigma attached. I get the exact same treatment as Garet and his sisters. I've never felt any distinction. So it was with his granddaddy - I was another one of his grandkids. Having only lived near my grandparents when I was very young, the idea of having grandparents at every family function was foreign to me. I hope that my kids will always have the luxury of being able to spend time with their grandparents as much as Garet did with his.

In closing, Garet and Levi both share the name William with Garet's Dad and Granddaddy. So the 4 generation picture you see is 4 generations of William Fields (and Kara)! Thank you to all of you who have prayed for WC and our family! Please remember his wife, Martha (wife of 30+ years pictured above), as she goes through the next few weeks.

5 comments:

Boyacheks said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. He seemed like a wonderful man. Praying for your family,
J~

Joy said...

So sorry for your loss and very glad that you were able to get a picture of all 4 generations together!

Kimberly said...

I can tell he was a special man...especially to his family.

Did plans work out for Garet?

Praying for comfort for everyone there-
Kimberly

The Canada's said...

So sorry for the family loss. May Christ be with you all.

Alison said...

Kimberly: Yes, I should have mentioned in the post that everything worked out for Garet.

He was supposed to go on a business trip (to Hawaii) today and we didn't know if everything was going to work out, but Garet works with some incredible people and they are covering for him. Thanks for asking!!