Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What is your Super Power?

For whatever reason, ever since Garet and I have been married, we often refer to our "super powers" in conversation. Usually we are referring to things that are not our super powers. For example, you can often hear me saying "Taking a quick shower is not my super power", because no matter how hard I try, I can't take a shower under 20 minutes. Or, "Being on time is not my super power" - all of you are nodding in agreement. For Garet, staying awake (the man can sleep through a take-off) and spelling are not his super powers.

So, what are our super powers you ask? Mine is my sense of direction. I have this amazing ability to always know in which direction I am facing. I can be indoors or outdoors (and not relying on the sun) and almost always know which way is north. Whenever we are traveling, this is a good super power to have, because I always seem to know where we should be going.

Garet has two (that's why I married him) that I can think of. The first is his sense of balance. The man never falls down...ever. This comes in very handy when he is skateboarding down our driveway, skimboarding, or surfing. Garet can also catch things in mid-air unusually well. If something is falling off the table, he can grab it before it hits the floor. This is especially useful with the kids cups that they are constantly throwing on the floor.

My friend Matt had written about this topic in different terms about a month ago and my mom commented about my dad's ability to awake at the same time every morning regardless of time zones - a good super power to have when you travel a lot.

So, what is your super power? Please tell!

11 comments:

Bull said...

I have very good blood pressure.

Kimberly said...

LOVE this question!

And how funny how opposite you and I can be...I take killer fast showers and get ready real fast too...and I hate to be late!

My super powers are spotting spelling/grammatical errors in books and on signs. And I have a pretty accurate track record for reading people. Josh will back me up on this one.

Josh's super power is making grilled cheese sandwiches, although I may have to have him answer this for himself. :)

Fun question!

Kimberly said...

Oh yeah...my newest super power is killing flies. I can swat and kill a fly like nobody's business!

Joy said...

Ooohh! We like this question! And these are Alex's answers:

He says my superpowers are sleeping, finding bargains at TJ Maxx and Ross, and super-fast diaper changing.

His superpowers include: cowcalling and playing those "claw" arcade machines (you know, where the claw goes down and you try to get the stuffed animal?) He wins that almost every time! (fyi --I get him a roll of coins for Christmas and birthdays designated for this game, or else we might have to take out a loan for the number of times he wants to play this game). :)

Tell Kimberly to come over to our house with her "flyswatter" skills -- we sure could use her help lately! :)

sosagtsie said...

great question. I had to think on it :)

Isaac can kill flies with his bare hands. Or rather, one bare hand. He actually kills all of the flies we get (we have far too many). I'm not exactly sure HOW - although I've tried to watch - but he somehow corners them, and catches them in between his two fingers. Then he brings them to me or to the trash (I guess mommy is just another name for garbage can?)

Ian's voice is SO VERY LOUD that, no matter where he is, I can hear him. And it sounds like he's right next to me.

I'm pretty good at reading people (ummm...but not very tactful) - and I can (usually) spot a lie a mile away. Although, for the lies - what can you do, right? It's rude to give away the fact that you know they're lying :)

PJ's very logical and can come up with the most creative solutions to any given problem. And he's a grammarnazi when it comes to people that are paid for their writing. He can also back my abilities up - though he doesn't believe in them when I point something specific out. Lol, I never have "proof". Once there is proof of...whatever....he will say, "yeh, You always get stuff like that right But..."

:)

Kristen said...

My superpower? foreseeing the future - maybe it's just intuition, but I like calling it the former.

Jimbo can remember and spit out the most pointless facts... for years.

Holly Gibson said...

The ability to grow/carry Josh's children. Seems they can run large.

Can grab and pick up anything with my toes - Jude can too.

Josh's - people magnet. Anyone will help the guy out with no questions asked and usually know what he needs before he says anything. It must be a look.

He can reach without a ladder.

Unknown said...

i do not know what mine is. Phil even says he doesn't know. Maybe I don't have one.

I think Phil's are doing math and packing the trunk.

Philip and Daniel both have the superpower of growing hair.

Anonymous said...

My superpowers are doing math in my head and backing up a car/truck with a trailer behind it

Kelly said...

Wow, well nice to "meet" you! Yes, my husband is ALWAYS correcting people! We have to spell our last name too... Beane... Funny!

Unknown said...

Jan's comment reminds me of Mission Tours, where people's superpower of packing came in very handy. 80 bags and four puppet stages in one trailer. No problem. And these, I believe, were pre-Tetris days.