Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For Sara

This past weekend, Garet and I had the opportunity to run in the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run for breast cancer in memory of our friend Dustin's mom, Sara. Dustin & Mary Ann both wrote beautiful tributes to her here and here - what an amazing lady!

We've been fortunate to run this race a few times in her honor with Team "Sara's e-racers" (which raised the most money!) and each time I am so inspired and humbled by all of the ladies that have lived through such a difficult experience and are able to celebrate in the survivor's walk, but also saddened by the number of memorials around the race site.

There was a record crowd at the race on Saturday (3,600) and over $100,000 was raised for breast cancer. Hopefully, we are one step closer to a cure!

Despite our lack of training (only about a month), Garet and I both finished under our goal times. We both felt great and it was a gorgeous day to run! There was a lot of encouragement along the route and there was a beautiful tribute to Sara for about a block with many, many pink ribbons. The street even had large pink ribbons painted on it.

Garet ran first. Here is he is coming in to the finish line. We like to title this picture: "The crowd looks to see who is coming in second":
I ran next. Ignore the wacky expression on my face - I was trying to get Kara's attention. Special thanks to the lady in green who kept me on pace with her fancy watch:
Garet and Levi at the finish line:
Dustin, Mary Ann and Carter (with Dustin's Dad in the background) walking in the Survivor's Walk in honor of Sara:
The family at the end of the day:
Hope to see all of you next year!

2 comments:

Bill and Melodie said...

OK, I need you to help me train because I wanna run next year! Surely if I start now, I can do it next year!

Alison said...

Let's do it! Miki is going to run too!