Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dear Kara,

Has it really been a year since you came into our lives? Your first year has flown by for me, but don't worry, you left your mark :). It was a hard year moving from a family of 3 to a family of 4, but I wouldn't change a thing about it (except for maybe a little less crying!).

From the day you were born, we knew that you were going to have a very unique personality. You are a strong-willed child and are passionate about most everything you come in contact with. This dynamic has been a little challenging for me, but I have to admit, at the end of the day, you always show me how to love you even more.

You are already a heart-breaker. Your big blue eyes have charmed many people and your infectious grin is irresistible. You are starting to get some big brown curls and I know you are going to be just as beautiful as you are right now. You also have 8 teeth to compliment that grin!

Although we have plenty of "baby" toys, you only prefer to play with cars and balls, or really, anything that belongs to your brother. Speaking of Levi, you adore him and want to be everywhere he is. Thankfully, he puts up with his "shadow"!

You are following in your brother's footsteps in that you already have plenty to say. "Mama", "Dada", "Bubba" and a form of "All Done", "Thank You", "Light", "Baby" and "Ball" are said on a regular basis. I have a feeling that sign language will not be for you either - you will prefer to just say the words.

Eating is still a struggle with you - you just don't do it. About the only thing you will eat these days is yogurt, green beans, carrots & goldfish. We've begun the transition to milk - we will be happy to wave good-bye to the expense of formula, hopefully soon!

Because eating is not your super power, you have always been a light-weight. You've averaged 5% in weight and 95% in height - a true string bean! This was a concern in the beginning, but the doctors now say that this is just who you are. You currently weigh 20 lbs, 1 oz which is just enough to turn your car seat around - we were worried you wouldn't make it! You also stand 29.5 inches tall - you are going to catch up to your brother before we know it.

For only one year of life, you have traveled quite a bit already. Your map has 11 states marked. I think that is more than your Daddy had when I first met him! You absolutely enjoy the different scenery's on vacation and I have been quite amazed at how well you do when we travel.

Except for a couple of steps here and there, you have not taken off walking across the room. I hate to admit it, but part of that is probably my fault. With two of you now, you unfortunately have not gotten the attention your brother got at this age. However, you will always have someone to play with and for this I am thankful.

Your current "tricks" are giving kisses, clapping, high fives, sticking out your tongue, strumming your lips, and pretend sneezing. You get the biggest smile when you perform for others. Perhaps your biggest accomplishment to date is standing up from a seated position without using anything to pull up on. This usually follows walking, but you are unique! You also like to dance anytime music is played - it is one of the cutest things ever.

I'm anxious to see if you will be a girly-girl or a tom-boy. You never pull the bows out of your hair, and if someone else does, you want them back in your hair immediately. On the flip side, you can wrestle with the best of them and can throw a ball like nobody's business. "Drama" has been used to describe you many times, so we'll just have to wait and see. :)

I am so thankful to have you in my life. I never thought I wanted a girl, but you have proved me wrong time and time again. You bring out a side in me that your brother will never know. I cherish praying for you every night as I put you down - I love you so much!

Kisses,

Mommy

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Too, too precious.

Bill and Melodie said...

Awww, hope Kara had a great birthday!

Kimberly said...

Is that some sort of pillowcase shirt I see? Whatever it is, so cute too!

Alison said...

Kimberly: Yes! I've decided shirts are better for a crawler. She doesn't get tangled in them!