Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Long Trip Home & Kara in California?

We were not looking forward to the trip home. Over the course of 22 hours, we would be riding in 4 airplanes with two small children. Here we are walking through the Honolulu airport about 3 hours into our journey home. Levi LOVED his Cars backpack (thanks Duncan Family!) Before we left the islands, I had Levi show and tell you what he learned in Hawaii. You will hear "Aloha" a couple of times and see the "Shaka" (the Hang Loose symbol).

Here we are hanging out at LAX for our 3.5 hour layover in the middle of the night. The kids were wide awake and running all over the place. Garet & Levi in their matching shirts doing the "shaka":
So, here is my picture of Kara IN California. Garet and I have a disagreement regarding this though. I say that Kara can check CA off her list of states - she was on California ground for over 3 hours, ate there, played there, etc. Garet disagrees - he says airports don't count. Since we have lots of family in California, we should be out there again soon, but what if this was Iowa or something. Do you think we should count it or not?
We were a little delirious at this point. Just over 13 hours into the trip and I was getting tired!
The trip home went pretty good. I liked having two shorter flights instead of one long flight for the kids sake even though it took longer. It gave them a chance to run-around half way. The only problem we had was really bad turbulence for the first hour and a half out of Honolulu. Our plane kept fish tailing and that makes me SO sick. Needless to say, I had the "barf bag" open the rest of the way home which meant I did not sleep. Garet even gave me his first class upgrade from LAX-ATL - what a sweetie - but, I still couldn't fall asleep! I went 26 hours without sleep which is the longest I've ever gone and I don't recommend to anyone!

We are now home and very thankful for the opportunity we were given. There were moments that were hard (Kara's vaccination reaction, having the kids by myself without a car while Garet worked, the rain, adjusting to a different time zone, etc), but overall the trip was fun. However, Garet and I are not ready to take the kids far away anytime soon! Aloha!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, airports don't count. Our rule is you have to leave the airport for it to actually count.

Kimberly said...

Yeah, Josh says airports don't count...and I have to agree. :)

What sort of reaction did Kara have?

I watched a John and Kate episode tonight and they were in Hawaii, too...thought of you guys.:)

Bill and Melodie said...

add 5 more weeks and a language barrier and you will get a taste of what it was like in Guatemala...

Anonymous said...

My rule regarding airports is that they don't count as far as visiting the city, but they do count as far as states go. I mean you really were in CA, right? Even for a moment, so you didn't see the city, but you were there. But you could still put it on the list to visit later. ;)