Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dusting off the sewing machine

This past Christmas, I decided I wanted to try to make more of the gifts I gave instead of buy them. The result was about 25% homemade because I quickly learned that buying something and making something take drastically different amounts of time. There is only so much you can do when you are a procrastinator like me.

After learning to do some basic sewing this past summer, I decided to attempt this Dish Towel Tote Tutorial. It turned out to be fairly easy and I was pleased with the result. The only problem I had is that you need more than the 5/8 yard of fusible interfacing - a yard would probably be best. I had never worked with fusible interfacing before and it was a little bit ornery. I also only used a dish towel on one of the totes I made because there wasn't a large selection of dish towels to choose from. Instead, I used two pieces of 5/8 yard fabric.

Without further ado, the totes:
These were gifts to my sister-in-laws, Kelly & Keri:
I follow the blog, Sew, Mama, Sew, in my reader, and it has so many great ideas and tutorials. All their posts in December about made my brain explode with endless possibilities. I think I want to try this fabric basket next, but we'll see - maybe in 3 months when I dust the sewing machine off again!

Finally, a few more shots from the evening. Garet is so creative and had the kids play this game:
Kara took her turn with the big girls in Ring-Around-The-Rosy. She thought she was the greatest thing ever:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back to you, too!

Kimberly said...

And when you dust off that machine...don't forget I am waiting in line for one of those precious pillowcase dresses. :) Although I guess it would be no good to Anna until she can stand. Still...

Kendra said...

Your bags look great! Good job! You've inspired me to actually find my sewing machine (from the move) and then dust it off! :o) We'll see how long that inspiration lasts.

Alison said...

Kimberly: Keep reminding me. You'll learn quickly with a girl that until they can walk, dresses are out - they just can't crawl in them! Maybe I'll make her a dress for her birthday!

Bill and Melodie said...

yes and both of my girls are walking so i'm waiting...

Alison said...

yikes, looks like I need to get busy!

Anonymous said...

I too was planning on making a lot of stuff for Christmas presents and made ZERO! I had too much going on last semester! I follow Sew Mama Sew also. I LOVE their blog. SO many ideas...almost too many to choose from! This is the first time I have commented on your blog but have been reading for a while...I knew you and Garet both while we were at Auburn. Good luck on the creative sewing ideas! Maybe you will inspire me to get started this semester!
Heather Black McDivitt

Alison said...

Heather! Thanks for stopping by - I hope you are doing well. We need to keep each other accountable...as you can see, I have some obligations above!