Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Latest Endeavor: Coupons

After having several conversations with friends in recent weeks about "couponing", I finally decided to break down and give this thing a try. Keep in mind that before kids, I was very organized...to an extreme really. That all changed when suddenly my free time was zapped in half and then half again and is about to be non-existent. That's OK - the hugs and kisses are worth it.

Sorry to digress there. So, in my now less than organized way, I have been trying to work this whole "couponing" world (and it is a world out there). While I have been very successful at the large grocery store trips (I saved $56 on my last trip to Target!!), I still find myself spending way to much money on those "I'm just going to run in and buy a couple of items" trips.

Before I go any farther, let me tell you about my favorite website of the moment: Southern Savers Blog. This girl thinks like me and writes things down in a way I would and it makes it very easy for me. I decided to start with her CVS "plan" since I live so close to one. I must say that I have been working the system very well. Take for instance my shopping trip yesterday:

I got these 11 items for $17 with $13 in CVS dollars to spend on my next visit. If I had more time, I would have ended up spending only $8 with $5 in CVS dollars, but I didn't have time for another transaction. The hardest part has been trying to stay away from brand loyalty (trying new shampoos, toothpastes, yogurt, granola bars, etc). So far it has been OK, but we'll see. I also don't have any room in my house to hoard items for an entire year...I can only imagine the size of these ladies pantries! A good deal is a good deal, but not at the expense of floor space!

I've also got a number of friends that use couponmom.com. It took awhile to sign up, but it is free. I like that they provide Target and Wal-mart shopping lists since that is where I primarily shop. However, these ladies are working the Publix deals, so they may be my next endeavor.

My only problem with Publix and Kroger is that while you can get some fantastic deals on certain items, unless those exact items make up a meal, you are still going to have to buy the other items. Wal-mart is so much cheaper across the board that I'd really like to see a price comparison since you can still use coupons at Wal-mart (they just aren't doubled).

That's where I'm at. Any other "couponers" out there? What tricks or tips do you use. I really am quite fascinated at the money I could save. Thanks!

3 comments:

Holly Gibson said...

You're funny. I'm still trying to find time to get ready for this. You might like http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

Its a $1 for the first month to see if you like it - but they list out where to use your coupons and when to hold on to them. I'm with you, I don't like the idea of stocking up.

Ellen said...

I decided to try the CVS game this week too, and ended up getting a whole bunch of stuff for $19 and getting $14 back in ECB... now,I just to make sure I don't loose those little pieces of paper so I can play the game next week with them!!

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

You're inspiring. I love CVS... maybe I'll try it!