Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rule-Follower / Rule-Breaker

I've got one of each. Levi is by far my rule-follower. He's the kid that knows what you are supposed to be doing, when, and why. He always plays it safe and has lots of questions. If something is out of place, he will try to fix it or tell someone. There is an order for everything. Now, I'm not saying that he does everything he is told or that he is a perfect child, because that is just not true :).

I can relate to Levi a lot. I've tended to be a rule-follower my whole life, but there are many opportunities I've passed up by playing it safe which leads to regrets for not "taking the plunge". Levi will be really good at what he does and will be very dedicated.
Kara on the other hand, is my rule-breaker. She likes to do the opposite of the norm all with this little grin on her face. She knows she's different and spunky and has got the biggest attitude to go with that little walk of hers. She jumps off tables with no fear and rarely meets a stranger. A true free-spirit. Therefore, she has been quite the challenge for the rule-following momma of hers.

However, I have to admit that I am envious of her personality. She is going to try a million things in her life and while she might fail 999,999 times, I have no doubt that she will do something amazing at least once (if not more). Her life will not be slow-paced and will certainly be an adventure!

Parenting Levi has been easy. Although he needs guidance, he thinks through his plans, weighs his options and goes from there. My challenge will be with Kara. How do I encourage her to be creative and follow her heart without giving her too much freedom?
It is going to be a wild ride, but so much fun to participate in. I wonder what baby #3 will be? My rule-maker? Oh my. They always say the youngest gets whatever they want, right Garet? lu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'm a rule-follower too. I don't know what I'd do with a free spirit. We can't really tell about Abi yet, but I think rule-follower.

Ben Amos

gbone said...

perhaps my next post should be why being the youngest is clearly the toughest of the birth order positions.

Kimberly said...

A rule-maker, eh? Yep, that sounds about right - just what you need to complete your set. :)

Joy said...

I can't wait to see what personality this new Fields baby has!