Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sharing

Where are we? Here we are!
Levi & Kara are at a "fun" age right now for learning about sharing. Kara prefers the "I want that and I will take it at anytime regardless of who is playing with it" tactic. Levi prefers the "whine when someone takes my toy" method. Both happen quite frequently during the day and I find myself constantly saying "He/She was playing with it first" or "He/She was touching it first" followed by "wait until they are done with it, then you can play with it". Sometimes the toy is taken away completely if a wrestling match beings.

This is not new to any parent of siblings. It is a rite of passage - we will get through this stage (although I've heard it can last into the teenage years and beyond - yikes!) and they will grow up, hopefully be friends, and share with each other because that's what people do, right?

Apparently there are some people at my gym who have never learned this lesson. I'm on my fourth gym over the course of my life and the one I'm at now is a haven for "non-sharers" (if that is a word). I've pretty much gotten used to the people that sit on a machine for 20 minutes doing who knows what. There is no chance of working in, because they are "using the machine" while they sit there. I've also given up on the people that sit on a machine and talk to their neighbor - I've always wanted to tell these people that there are better (and more comfortable places) to socialize, but maybe they think they are really exercising. At least these people are trying to stay healthy.

The other day, this lack of sharing went to a new low. I've had to move from machine weights to free weights to support my expanding belly, so I head over to the exercise balls to get one to use as my bench. I roll it over to the weights and a lady comes flying across the room to tell me that she is using that ball. I promise you she was no where in any close proximity to that ball. I looked at her a little puzzled, put the ball back and watched as she walked back across the room and got on a machine. I mean seriously. I was almost done with my whole arm routine (on a different ball) before she went over and started using that particular exercise ball.

I'm sure there is something profound I could learn from this or some great insight I could share with you, but my pregnant brain is just too tired. (This is where I need Kimberly to figure it out for me since she does that so well.)

Instead I'll leave you a couple more pictures of the "sharers":
I had to include this one because seconds later, Kara fell, busted her lip open and blood was everywhere. Good times all around!
Now I feel better. Rant over. Good Night.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ugh - that ones a pickle alright. Very odd and strange lady.

And I just had a similar un-sharing weekend with Noah and his cousin Brooklyn. No fun at all.

Joy said...

Are they sitting on a table to play behind the curtains?

Alison said...

Yes, Joy. We push our coffee table into that corner next to the fireplace during the week. Kara loves to sit up there. Garet thought it was a weird camera angle too.

Kimberly said...

What? No post-bloody lip picture?

I forgot to ask that earlier. :)

Alison said...

Garet was out of town and there was so much blood. I was thinking more of how to get her to the ER than taking a picture at the moment :). Thankfully, it finally stopped.