Thursday, May 8, 2008

There are two boards in our house.

The first is Levi's board. It sits in his bathroom. If he goes "pee pee in the potty", he gets one magnet ("Cars", of course). Two magnets for, well you know. Every time he gets ten magnets, he gets a prize. These have mostly consisted of "Cars" cars, thus the reason we have so many. For you enthusiasts, Dinoco Chick Hicks is up for grabs this week. Sometimes Levi gets all 10 magnets in a day, other times it takes 3-4 days. I've decided that potty training is as much about how often I remind him to go as it is him actually learning the process. When I am "game on", he gets the prizes quicker. When I'm having a lazy day, it tends to take longer.

The second board is next to our back door. We have a large white board there where Garet and I have a list of things to do, grocery list, meal options and last, but not least, a list of everything I want to do to the house (which is getting much shorter!). About a month ago, I decided that I needed some motivation for going to the gym. So, I made my own board. If I get 12 magnets (workouts), I get a piece of cheesecake - yum! My favorite of late has been from the Atlanta Bread Co. Now, I will confess that I have had a couple of pieces of cheesecake during this process, but they just happened to be at Life Group and a baby shower, so those don't count...at least that is what I'm telling myself. Monday Night, I filled the board up, so I will be enjoying a wonderful piece of cheesecake this weekend. It will probably come from Steak-Out as that is what the ladies and I are ordering this weekend.

I'll leave you with this conversation Levi and I had:
Levi: Mommy, you got all your magnets!! (He was so proud)
Alison: Yes, I did!
Levi: What do you get for getting all your magnets?
Alison: A piece of cheesecake
Levi: (Pauses) I can help you eat that

A child after my own heart!

6 comments:

Bill and Melodie said...

Hope you enjoy your cheesecake! And I hope Levi gts a new car soon! Have fun at Girl's Night Out! We'll be at a family reunion Sunday so I'll miss the baby dedication. Hope all goes well!

Ashley Turnbull said...

What great ideas! I like the board ideas...

Joy said...

That is a great idea -- I may have to do something like that too! (don't let Levi eat too much of that hard earned cheesecake!)

The Slocumb Family said...

Great idea!!! I know that it is going to take much motivation to get Brock to do anything especially going to the potty. I will certainly keep this in mind.

Alison said...

Let me add that we got this idea from our pediatrician, except that they had used going to Chuck E. Cheese as the reward. After going several nights in a row, his advice was to pick an easy prize!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! Since I almost always make it to the bathroom in time, I should be able to get lots of toys.