Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Something for the fridge

Most everyday last year, Levi brought home a drawing, painting, sculpture, you name it, from school. As any good parent does, we placed a large number of them on the fridge. There were some Levi was more proud of than others and he made sure we knew it. This summer, our fridge has lacked the color that it has during the school year because I haven't exactly been "that mom" this summer that does all those crafty things with her kids.

While Levi may not have anything on the fridge, I made something last night that I am so incredibly proud of and I really want to put a big magnet on it...seriously! This summer, we are having Connection Groups (based on interests) at our church (one guess as to what Garet is leading) and one of the ones I signed up for was the sewing group. Thanks to my mom upgrading her sewing machine a couple of years ago, I have been the proud owner of a "sewing machine that has not seen light since I received it" - No longer! Last night, I dusted it off and lugged it up to church for some Sewing 101.

Our first project was to make this handy little square to help us know every stitch that we can do on our machines. Since I literally knew NOTHING about a sewing machine, I also learned how to do everything from turning it on, to threading all those things, to actually sewing two pieces of fabric together - it was a beautiful thing.

I'm looking forward to meeting with these great ladies this summer. We have a cute little handbag and pillowcase dresses on tap. I can't wait to see how they turn out and share with all of you. If you want to join us, let me know! Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Bill and Melodie said...

Alison, I am so proud of you!

I really wanted to do the sewing class, but I think it would be a little hard from here. Maybe I could skype in...

Joy said...

Al-- you are doing what my mom wishes I would do!! I told her when and if I was ever interested that I would learn and so far...

She is embarrassed that I can't hem pants! Isn't that awful? But really, how often would I have the need to hem my pants? :)

Kimberly said...

How timely - I just took Noah's bedspread to my mom this week to have her sew up a rip, because I don't have a clue about sewing either. Must be our generation!

Your stitches are lovely for sure!
Have fun with that!

The Slocumb Family said...

That sounds like fun! I got a sewing and embriodery machine last December and still really do not know how to use it. Any tips that you can give would be great. I hope that you learn lots! Have fun!

Kathy said...

I agree Alison. It is fun and I can't wait to actually make something.

Alison said...

Joy: No pants being hemmed here either! I laughed out loud!

Anonymous said...

I totally missed this class.. I want to learn to sew with a machine and make purses!!! Give me a yell and let me know what I need and how I can join, that is if it is not to late!! I am super stoked just thinking about it!
Just incase I can't figure out how to tell you who wrote this it is Heather M. LOL from small group (which I miss so so much)