Sunday, September 13, 2009

Job Updates

For some reason, we like to cram as many life changes into as short amount of time as possible. For example, Garet graduated from Auburn two days before we got married. At the rehearsal dinner, he was filling out paperwork for his new job that he started when we returned from our honeymoon. We were also moving all of our belongings from Auburn to storage and into an apartment. It was a crazy time, but we were young and in love :) (although Garet probably would have preferred to have had more sleep if you ask him).

Here we are 9 years later and making a lot of life changes within the span of two weeks because that is how we roll. A few months ago, Garet was offered a new job opportunity with one of his former bosses. After a lot of prayer and dialogue, we felt like it was time for a change. However, the contract took a little longer than anticipated and Garet wasn't able to start until this past week. Garet will be doing some of the same type work he has done in the past, but with less travel. It is a small business and we are looking forward to good times ahead.

His co-workers at TSI had a going away lunch for him last week and they all assured me that they would still be my Facebook friends - I have a harder time with break-ups than Garet :). In honor of the job change, Garet went out and bought a Wii - he had 3.5 weeks of vacation built up and he decided that if he didn't get to use it then he was going to put some of the money to good use! Levi is hooked on MarioKart - the kid is only 3 and already making a run for first place! He was even talking trash today (sigh) while on the "quarter pipe".

Now on to me... About a year ago, I began to feel like God was preparing me to do something else in regards to working and parenting. Since Levi was born almost 4 years ago, I have worked part time - most of that as the Life Group Minister at our church. Working has never been something I've had to do, but rather chosen to do - I had the best of both worlds - the work place and the home. I wasn't sure what was ahead for me at the time, so I just keep going - we were in an interim period at our church and didn't feel like I needed to make a big change. In January, we got the shock of our lives and found out we were pregnant. In case you are wondering, I still don't know how it happened. This was the start of some very hard months for me - my emotions were all over the place, I was really sick and I couldn't keep things together.

Once I got through that time, I began to really evaluate what the fall would look like for our family. Long story short, I decided to step down from being the Life Group Minister. There is an amazing story to go along with this as to how God worked out so many details in regards to this decision - I could cry just thinking about it. I've written it all down, but I feel like it is for me only right now. My last day was today and I can honestly say that I have an extreme peace about the future. Those who are around me often know that I am not exactly made for motherhood, but I can tell that God is pouring his grace on me right now.

The evening of Garet's going away lunch, we had my going away party - we joked that it was almost as if we were moving! Two of my other co-workers are moving on as well, so here are the three of us sharing what we will miss (and not miss) the most! I said that I would miss the daily interaction with my co-workers and being a part of their lives, but that I would NOT miss the meetings - especially those at night.
Below are some of my fellow co-workers and the management team from our church. I appreciate all the hard work they put into the evening and for the massage and pedicure gift cards - no better thing for a 38 week pregnant girl!

That's the low-down on Garet and I - Garison's update is another story in itself....

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

If anyone can hang in there through all the transition, it's you guys! So excited for you both with your new starts. Waiting on pins and needles to hear an update on Garison. :)

Ashley Turnbull said...

What great news! I know you are excited about all the changes - wonderful news on all ends (I'd be most excited a/b Garet not traveling as much...not sure how you were going to do it w/ 3 little ones!)!