Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Vacation - Day 3 - St. Louis Arch (well kinda)

Did I leave you in suspense long enough? Things have been absolutely crazy here and I hope to update you on that soon, but I wanted to finish up our vacation before I forget all the details!

After we left Santa Claus, we drove west (spending the night in IL) and Friday morning we drove on into St. Louis, MO. St. Louis is another one of those places where people kinda looked at me funny when I said we were going. Last year when we were in Paducah for Garet's Granddaddy's funeral, they had a brochure for St. Louis in the hotel - I had no idea how many things there were to do in St. Louis, so I put it on my list! Plus, it is only about a 6.5 hour drive from here.

We checked into our hotel in downtown St. Louis and immediately headed over to the Arch (can you seriously go to St. Louis without visiting the arch?). It turned out that the wait to go up was a little over 4 hours when we arrived, so we just bought tickets for the following morning. This turned out to be a very, very good thing.

We spent some time under the arch at the museums. Here are the kids in a replica of the pods that take you up the arch. The kids look so grown up to me: Taking some pictures outside...you are starting to get a feel for how the kids were doing by this point:

The melt down is starting:

I seriously don't know how we got these two shots of the kids smiling...

...as this was what was really going on:
We ended up canceling our plans for Friday night when the kids wouldn't take naps. In all fairness to them, they hadn't had naps in two days and we had a crazy full day at Holiday World. It was time for a break. So, we went to the pool and ordered pizza in and the night was wonderful. It didn't hurt that this was our view from our room:

2 comments:

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

sounds fun! I'd love to go there sometime too. ;)

Joy said...

I love that you included the meltdown pictures!!! Still looked like a great vacation! :)