Friday, December 5, 2008

Our Official Christmas Letter 2008

Merry Christmas from the Fields! I'd like to say that I'm moving on with the times and posting our Christmas Letter here instead of doing a paper version, but truth be told, I don't have time to do it any other way! Hopefully our picture will make it out before the end of the year!

Kara turned 1 in October and brought with it all the joys of "toddlerhood" - walking, talking, climbing, falling down, breaking things, eating non-edible items, etc. She is Ms. Personality and is the source of much laughter and crying every day. I wrote about her in detail here, but we are thrilled to have her in our lives and look forward to see what she has up her sleeve next. She adores her big brother and it is a joy to see them play together.

Levi turned 3 in October and has become quite the little man. He is very inquisitive and is constantly asking questions until he is satisfied with your answer. He loves school and is learning so much - he blows me away with something new everyday. Lightning McQueen has overtaken our house - Cars is by far Levi's favorite interest - I'd like to personally thank all the marketing people for putting McQueens face on EVERYTHING imaginable - it makes it very difficult to go to the store these days. I wrote about Levi for his birthday here.

Garet has become a traveling man these days with work - all to the usual places...Hawaii, Alaska, New Mexico and California. We miss him while he's gone, but the one positive is that we get to go to some cool places because of his miles and points. He started leading our Life Group for Young Marrieds again this year and is also leading the 10th-12th grade guys small group. He's a kid at heart, so this has been a great thing for him (when he's in town). Garet allows himself two hobbies and this year they were biking (mountain and road) and slot cars. He has enjoyed riding his bike to work, but those busy roads scare me!

I am still enjoying the best of both worlds. Working part time as the Life Group Minister at our church and being a part time stay at home mom. It's been a good balance for me and I am thankful for the opportunity. I have WAY too many hobbies at the moment, but who's counting. Blogging has been a great way for me to easily get things on a page instead of scrapbooking and I seem to enjoy it more. I also research travel like crazy. I have 10 trips planned and ready to go - just need the time and money! Finally, I learned to sew a little this year and have been dabbling in that. If only there was more time!

Traveling is always one of my favorite things to do. We were lucky to visit our siblings early in the year - My brother & wife in Maryland and Garet's sister & family in Detroit. I turned the Big 3-0 in March and after a failed trip to NYC and the Caribbean, we packed our bags and went for a family vacation in San Antonio - such a cool city! Sea World was a hit and hanging out with the Gibsons was a special treat! We also made the trek to the Hurter farm in July - a natural kids' playground!

In August, we had the first annual "Christy Family Vacation". We rented a house in the mountains of North Carolina and enjoyed a peaceful 3 days in Asheville, at the Biltmore and the Blue Ridge Parkway. A special time. Since the kids had never been to the beach, we headed over to Litchfield Beach, SC and had a much needed "Fields Family Four" vacation. Levi, especially, loved the ocean and we hope to make this a yearly occurrence. Garet and I enjoyed probably my favorite weekend of the year with our Life Group at the beach in Destin. We left the kids at home with grandparents and got 3 days to rejuvenate. We went in October this year and the weather could not have been more perfect!

Our moment of travel insanity might have happened in November when we packed up and headed to Oahu and Kauai, Hawaii with the kids. Nine hours in a plane wasn't so bad, but the time change was a little bit of a struggle. We spent two weeks out there while Garet was working and I posted way too much, so I'm just going to link you to the month of November. My heart is happy out there and I didn't miss the cold at all.

2008 was probably the toughest of our 8-year marriage (see video here).Garet lost his Granddaddy in June and having two children two and under forced some stressful periods of time. However, we are thankful to be out of the baby stage and looking forward to a (hopefully) less dramatic year in 2009.

As always, know that we love each and every one of you (at least those of you we know - although, I'll send some love out to you blog stalkers!). We are thankful for the times you have been a part of our life. Being a parent has made me realize just how precious life is and I don't want to ever take for granted the people God has given to us through family and friends. We are especially thankful for the gift that we received from God in the form of a baby so many years ago.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."

Love,
Alison, Garet, Levi & Kara

PS: Sorry for the link-o-rama. I realized that this could make for a very ADD type reading experience after I was done...

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh my, to hear you tell it all at once it sounds like you were NEVER home this year! :)

Not ADD, just hyperlink happy. :)

I ended up getting an actual letter out this year, but it may be our last...

Great pics!

Bill and Melodie said...

you are way ahead of me, but we hope to take THE picture this week and I may even update the blog too!

Alison said...

Kimberly: it certainly sounds like we were gone every week, doesn't it?

Melodie: One year, my picture didn't go out until January because I could never get "that picture". I'll give myself another week and see what I can come up with! Good luck with yours!

Unknown said...

it was fun to read about your year although i knew most of it already!

The Canada's said...

Loved reading your Christmas letter and loved the pictures. I still can't believe you guys went to Hawaii with two kids! I can't imagine flying with my two for that long!

-Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Oh it was so fun reading your Christmas letter AND watching your anniversary video! Did Garet make that? Seriously, I don't know how you guys travel so much. You have more energy than I do. Have an awesome Christmas!! Miss yall!

Alison said...

Dallas: I actually made the video for Garet...I'm the blogger in the family :)! Oh, and I don't know how you survive all those deployment...I think you are the true superstar!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought that was very "Alison" of him. But the title said "I'm a lucky girl" so I thought maybe he did it for you. Super sweet video!! Can you believe it's been eight years?